Monday, March 11, 2013

Chris' Visit Part Four: Les Egouts

OK...so, one of the things I really wanted to do before I left Paris was visit cité universitaire. This is where I lived when I studied in Paris back in 2007, and where I met Shreena!


So Chris and I had a quick visit there and Chris took some gorgeous pictures (obviously).

chris photo

My room used to face over the courtyard here but looking at this picture, all that springs to memory is a game of flip cup Shreena and I played in Summer. Memories!

chris photo

The campus itself is pretty cool so if you've done everything in Paris and want to go for a nice walk, this would be a good place. There's also a gorgeous park opposite - parc montsouris.


Anyway, after Chris humoured me with this little trip we headed to...attraction of all Paris attractions...the Sewer Museum or, Les Egouts. And as Ben so aptly put it: "When you're visiting a sewer museum you know you've seen everything."

chris photo

Well, it was definitely something different to do....but not particularly interesting. I didn't really read all the information on how the techniques for cleaning water have evolved...

Chris Paris Weekend March 2013

The most fascinating thing I did learn was that Victor Hugo was good friends with the guy that drew up the first map of the Paris sewer system, meaning that in Les Miserables, when Jean Valjean is carrying Marius through the sewers, it's impressively accurate!

Chris Paris Weekend March 2013

Chris Paris Weekend March 2013

chris photo

Chris and I didn't really linger in the sewers. Partly cos it wasn't very interesting and partly cos we'd got there about one minute before last admissions. So after wandering round, taking pictures and generally finding the whole thing pretty funny, we decided not to buy anything at the gift shop (ha!) and went off to meet Isobel for a coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment