Thursday, September 26, 2013

My Birthday Treat

On Tuesday I turned 28. A pretty scary age. I am most definitely now into my late twenties and the next birthday will be the last one that starts with a '2'...unless I live to be very very old indeed! Anyway, Ben and I had the day off, and, more or less fully recovered from Tough Muddering, Ben decided to treat me to the most extravagant birthday outing of all time!

28th Birthday Sept 2013
Up bright and early Ben took me to the Shard so we could appreciate the view from London's newest skyscraper. It was a very foggy day so we got to see London covered in a very eery mist...

28th Birthday Sept 2013
It also meant that people weren't going up yet, so we pretty much had the viewing deck to ourselves! BONUS!

28th Birthday Sept 2013
28th Birthday Sept 2013
A gorgeous picture of Canary Wharf!

28th Birthday Sept 2013

28th Birthday Sept 2013
28th Birthday Sept 2013

28th Birthday Sept 2013
It's a pretty impressive piece of architecture and the view is really gorgeous, misty or not. I have to admit I did expect there to be a little café or similar at the top but it is just viewing. I loved it just the same and had fun with the telescope type things that give you the option for a live screen feed. Pretty awesome, though you do feel like you're targeting London with a ray gun...

28th Birthday Sept 2013
Back down on Earth with the normal people (and feeling very smug as we passed the queues now waiting to get to the top of the Shard) Ben and I wandered to Borough Market in search of lunch.

28th Birthday Sept 2013
A-yum!

28th Birthday Sept 2013
After finishing our lunch and having a little sit-down, we headed to Leicester Square where we would need to be for the next event. I dragged Ben into M&M world as I've been dying to have a look around since it opened, just to see how they've managed to make a world of M&Ms, but it's always so busy I haven't had the chance. Happily, on a Tuesday afternoon it was quiet, so we wandered in.

28th Birthday Sept 2013
28th Birthday Sept 2013
28th Birthday Sept 2013
28th Birthday Sept 2013
The smell of chocolate is pretty overpowering...after nabbing ourselves a little pick and mix each, we grabbed a seat in the new little park area in Leicester Square.

28th Birthday Sept 2013
They've opened it finally with a statue/fountain of Shakespeare. There were some actors wandering around in Shakespearean costume who twice approached us with speeches from his well-known plays, including, upon my request, A Midsummer Night's Dream. A very nice bonus to our day, as was the weather we enjoyed.

28th Birthday Sept 2013
And then to W lounge for afternoon tea...

28th Birthday Sept 2013
28th Birthday Sept 2013
Sat on squashy seats with cushions next to some funky photo-plates, Ben and I picked our tea and waited for our cakes...

28th Birthday Sept 2013
28th Birthday Sept 2013
Ben wanted to do something a bit more original than a standard Afternoon Tea, he picked W lounge because they offer a Rock Tea - you can see from the names of the cakes that they are themed after well known songs of popular artists.

28th Birthday Sept 2013
And they're served on 'vinyl'!

28th Birthday Sept 2013
28th Birthday Sept 2013
28th Birthday Sept 2013
28th Birthday Sept 2013

28th Birthday Sept 2013
We drank plenty of tea but didn't even nearly finish all the food. It was just far too much! With some time to spare, Ben and I nipped into Trocadero arcade and then found a pub to chill in for a couple of hours. Not too hungry for dinner we decided to swap Byron for Ping Pong and had some dim sum.

28th Birthday Sept 2013
28th Birthday Sept 2013
28th Birthday Sept 2013

28th Birthday Sept 2013
After nibbling we headed to Paddington to see 'The Drowned Man'. There are, regrettably, no pictures, but to be honest, no pictures could do it justice. It is an absolutely unique experience. I loved it. I found it very odd during, and afterwards it felt very surreal, but the more I think about it, the more I realise how much I loved it.  I'd actually be very tempted to go back because it would be completely different.

To give you an idea, you are given a mask to wear and you are wondering silently through a darkened 'film studio'. Occasionally you will see people without masks, these are the actors, you can follow them to see what their story is or you can move on and look elsewhere. They often break into contemporary dance pieces, it's completely different to anything I've seen before. Also, the bar was amazing, you can go at any time, and sit at the red cloth-covered tables and enjoy a drink in front of the band. Amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Was going to ask you if Ben spoiled you, but the boy done good!

    ReplyDelete