Sunday, September 8, 2013

Run to the Beat

Today, my friend Sarah and I ran the Nike Run to the Beat half marathon.

The weather was good (a little hot to start with but it clouded over, thank god!) and spirits were high. I lost Sarah pretty early on cos she's a speedy runner and, despite having done four half marathons, I'm not really good on the speed front.

I ran on behalf of Crisis, if you fancy sponsoring me it's not too late! Click here. Now, I've run Reading half marathon twice and I ran one in Paris (Boulogne-Billancourt)...and I have to say, this one is my least favourite. It was good, but there was just a couple of things that I thought were key to making a good half-marathon that were missing from this event.

Run to the Beat Sept 2013
The worst thing, that Run to the Beat have now officially apologised for, was that there was a point where you ran round a playground type area (at Royal Artillery Barracks) but the gate was small enough to create congestion...so I ended up standing around with the other runners for a fair few minutes.

Run to the Beat Sept 2013
I've since checked my stats on the website, first three miles my pace was 9.53 minutes per mile, the 3 mile stretch where the barracks were my pace averaged to 11.30 per mile - then it was 10.00, then 10.15. So annoyingly I think the bottleneck was directly responsible for my slowest finishing time of 2 hours and 16 minutes (previously had finishing times of 2.08, 2.11 and 2.03).

Run to the Beat Sept 2013
Not great for a half marathon. Then it took twenty minutes of queuing at the end to get our bags back - everyone was pretty livid, bags were just shoved in piles in roughly marked groups. It was a nightmare. I don't think there were enough water stations throughout and considering they call it 'Run to the Beat', there isn't music throughout the course - there are about 14 mini 'stages' at points throughout, but it means you get thirty seconds of music as you run past.


That being said, Jessie J was performing, which was pretty awesome, though, by the time I finally got my bag, all I wanted to do was head home. Did I mention the final mile was up a beast of a hill?

Untitled
Killed me. 

5 comments:

  1. Congrats! I know it wasn't the best run, nor time, but still a finish is a win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah definitely! I'm still pretty pleased with it :-)

      Delete
  2. I think 2.16 is seriously respectable considering the fact that there was a huge bottle neck! :) - Your the third persons blog I've read that had a 'worst ever half marathon time' so I wouldn't worry in the slightest.
    I would have really started getting aggravated over the bag situation though...Grrr!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God - I thought people were going to start storming the baggage area, seriously...the people near me were actually debating it!! Can I ask the other blogs names?? I'd love to see what other people had to say!!

      Delete
    2. Ahhhh from my vague memory one was 'Mind Over Matter' and another was 'Lazy Girl Running (but she was pretty calm)' and there was one who was devastated and I need to find that again (Grrr)

      Delete