Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Am I Mad?

In September I completed Run to the Beat Half Marathon and Tough Mudder. When I entered both events, I thought it was a little insane. Two hardcore events in one month? But somehow...the somehow being I did it to myself willingly... I have now lined up from March to April, a half marathon, a full marathon, and Tough Mudder again, for some reason.

Training has started, for the marathon really as that's the one that's scaring me (and I feel like it'll more or less cover me for the others). I'm being good and sticking to a program which I have included here:




Monday
Tuesday
Weds
Thursday
Friday
Sat
Sun
Week 1
Rest
4 easy
5 hills
Rest
Easy 4
Rest
6 miles
Week 2
Rest
4 speed
6 hills
Rest
Easy 4
Rest
7 miles
Week 3
Rest
5 speed
6 hills
Rest
Easy 5
Rest
9 miles
Week 4
Rest
5 speed
7 hills
Rest
Easy 5
Rest
11 miles
Week 5
Rest
4 speed
7 hills
Rest
Easy 6
Rest
12 miles
Week 6
Rest
5 speed
7 hills
Rest
Easy 4
Rest
10 miles
Week 7
Rest
6 speed
8 hills
Rest
Easy 7
Rest
13 miles
Week 8
Rest
6 speed
8 hills
Rest
Easy 5
Rest
8 miles
Week 9
OFF
OFF
OFF
OFF
OFF
OFF
OFF
Week 10
Rest
6 speed
6 hills
Rest
Easy 6
Rest
15 miles
Week 11
Rest
7 speed
8 hills
Rest
Easy 6
Rest
16 miles
Week 12
Rest
8 speed
6 speed
Rest
Easy 4
Rest
10 miles
Week 13
Rest
8 speed
MP 4
Rest
Easy 6
Rest
15 miles
Week 14
Rest
8 speed
8 hills
Rest
Easy 6
Rest
16 miles
Week 15
Rest
MP 6
6 speed
Rest
Easy 4
Rest
8 miles
Week 16
Rest
6 speed
6 speed
Rest
Easy 6
Rest
18 miles
Week 17
OFF
OFF
OFF
OFF
OFF
OFF
OFF
Week 18
Rest
5 speed
7 hills
Rest
Easy 7
Rest
20 miles
Week 19
Rest
MP 8
6 speed
Rest
Easy 8
Rest
22 miles
Week 20
Rest
5 speed
6 easy
Rest
Easy 5
Rest
Half
Week 21
Rest
5 speed
6 hills
Rest
Easy 8
Rest
24 miles
Week 22
Rest
MP 10
5 easy
Rest
Easy 6
Rest
15 miles
Week 23
Rest
4 speed
6 easy
Rest
Easy 5
Rest
12 miles
Week 24
Rest
4 speed
5 easy
Rest
Easy 4
Rest
10 miles
Week 25
Rest
4 speed
4 easy
Rest
Easy 4
Rest
Race

I based it on others I found on the web but mainly the intermediate course I found in my Runner's World Complete Guide to Running. I tweaked it a lot for myself, for example, I'm not going to run five times a week, I think that's just a bit much. Instead I'm going to make these four runs my minimum, and then try and do some cross-training once a week, something low-impact like swimming or yoga.

Speed - this means speed training, I think I'm going to start with Mile Repeats. My book also has Yasso 800s where you do your warm up mile then run 800m at a time equivalent to your marathon time. e.g. aiming for 4:10? Run 800m in 4 minutes 10 seconds. Jog 400m inbetween for recovery. If you know other speed training techniques let me know!

Hills - cover the distance on the hilliest route you can find (I'm doing this one today, it's meant to build up leg strength which you need to do in the beginning).

MP - marathon pace. I think I'm going to aim for 9 minutes 30 seconds per mile. I'm usually a ten minute miler so this will take some work.

Anyway, with proper training comes proper eating. My indulgences are going and I'm making a real effort to cook proper healthy food. To make sure I stick to this, I've started a second blog!! And, on Steph's awesome suggestion, called it Nichola with a Saucepan. If you're interested pop on over, the only post at the moment is my new favourite breakfast! Avocado toast (you'll have seen it if you follow me on instagram).

2 comments:

  1. Wow Nic - Good for you! :)
    I love how you've grouped the races together so at least your training will work as a whole for that set time of year rather than training for one race and then having to start training again...
    I would love to run a marathon - Next year I mainly aim to get over my entering race fear and start joining them again..I've ran half mara distance etc but not with any amazing pace and will aim to enter a formal one next year.
    Your going to kick ass on every event! - I read a lovely comment on running marathons via twitter and it said break each section of the race into lovely little 10kms and focus on knocking them off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about that! Haha! You're right though, it does work out well :)
      Why race fear? They're awesome fun!! I always just tell myself, worst case scenario you might have to walk for a bit, is that such a bad thing?
      10km chunks...uggggh, why am I signing up to run for four hours, it's just INSANE!

      Delete