Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sharm El Sheikh Part One

It's been a while. I've been on holiday. I've been on holiday for the first time since June last year. Which doesn't sound like a long time but when you consider that also means that I haven't taken more than one day off work since June 2012, you can probably guess how badly I needed a week of nothing. Ben and I booked Sharm El Sheikh knowing that after Tough Mudder, we'd want to do absolutely nothing. And so it was.

P1040999
P1040993
P1040996
Egypt October 2013
Egypt October 2013
Egypt October 2013

So, we booked through lastminute.com. Which got us a fairly cheap week all inclusive staying at the All Seasons Badawia Hotel. This place is pretty well rated on tripadvisor, but the negative reviews are scathing. In my opinion, you have to go out to Egypt with realistic expectations. The rooms are more 'rustic' than, say, a Premier Inn. When Ben and I first saw our room we were a little disappointed. But as the week went on, we were perfectly happy with it.

Egypt October 2013

And you got a couple of English movie channels, a bonus when you've had too much sun! (yes you can have too much sun when you've been in the English rain for a year and a half!)

The food in our all inclusive isn't amazing, but we came to learn that, in our opinion, Egyptian food isn't really that great. There's some exceptions, the soups, for example, were delicious! And they did a fantastic breakfast omelette! To be honest, we ate most of our meals in the hotel and weren't too bothered, it just stopped being interesting after a while.

The staff are so lovely though, constantly saying hello and coming over to chat throughout your stay at the hotel, there's no need to wonder why so many people go back to stay there again and again. And, as a three star hotel, we've heard it's a lot better than some of the other higher rated hotels. It attracts a lot of English tourists as well so you can have a bit of a chat with people. Which is how Ben and I came to find out about Farsha!

Egypt October 2013

This Shisha bar is set on the side of a rocky hill, you go through a very unassuming gate and see immediately in front of you some wooden balconies with crappy chairs sat next to them and hope for a second that your taxi driver hasn't screwed you over and taken you to some random place. But, walk towards the balcony and you'll see stairs.

Egypt October 2013
Once down the stairs, you'll be plonked onto cushions overlooking the sea.

Egypt October 2013
Ben and I ordered cocktails and a cherry flavoured shisha, and chilled out for a couple of hours as the sun went down.

Egypt October 2013
Egypt October 2013
Egypt October 2013
Egypt October 2013
Egypt October 2013
This picture reminds me, if you're going to Egypt, buy some mosquito repellent. The first two nights they feasted on my legs and the red blotches are only now starting to disappear. Evil things.

Egypt October 2013
Egypt October 2013
Egypt October 2013
FYI, Shisha = not good for you. Don't be fooled, read the facts here.

Egypt October 2013
The sun went down (unfortunately out of our view but the light was still pretty) and the cliffside lit up.

Egypt October 2013
Very pretty. The more I'm going through my pictures, the more I realise I'm going to need more than one blog post to cover everything. So here's the last thing I'll talk about in this one. Ben and I spent a day at the beach. Our hotel had a free shuttle service so we went for a few hours.

Egypt October 2013
Egypt October 2013
Egypt October 2013
Our hotel had a particular area on Terrazzina beach. It was a little stoney but not too bad. Personally, I am a pool person over a beach person. Call me a wimp, but the sea freaks me out a little. Even though this water was so clear you could see down to your feet easily, I don't like the idea of stepping on things, or fish swimming round my ankles.

Egypt October 2013

We'd heard the snorkelling was amazing in Egypt so, we'd bought some snorkeling stuff to take with us (apparently you get ripped off if you try to buy it out there). We bought these sets for only eight pounds each and they were pretty awesome.

Egypt October 2013
Egypt October 2013

And even though we only had a small, roped off area in front of our beach, we saw loads of awesome fish! Yes, when they started to swim towards me I freaked out a little, but I liked to look at them from a distance. My friend Chris has since told me what the fish were probably called based on my description (he's a diver) but I've forgotten so, not to sound like a child, there were yellow and blue stripey little fish, a big school of fish swimming as one (very like in Finding Nemo, remember? When they do impressions for Dory? Except they were just hanging out as a big clump. Boring.) We saw some that looked like mini swordfish with blue sword-noses and a few huge ones...well, you know, the size of a football-type huge. I wish I'd had an underwater camera! Apparently you can pick some half-decent ones up for £150! Anyway, that was our day at the beach!

2 comments:

  1. Loving the photos, keep them coming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos!

    Egypt can be very hit or miss for hotels etc, but I always found the staff really accommodating and polite.

    Can't wait to see more!

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete