Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Reading Half Marathon 2014

This is the third time I have run the Reading Half, and my fifth half-marathon to date. It was also meant to be my first half marathon completed in under two hours...but five miles in I suffered from numb foot and spent a good five minutes stretching/flexing/kicking my foot until I got the feeling back. So that ruined that plan.

Reading Half Marathon Mar 2014

Anyway - a couple of months ago I posted something on Facebook about looking forward to the Reading Half, and my Action Man Uncle spied it and dropped me a little text asking for the info. So it soon turned into a bit of a family affair with my Uncle and Aunt signing up to run too (my dad's brother and sister, to avoid any confusion).

Reading Half Marathon Mar 2014
And as such, their respective partners joined them, my Dad (who for the purposes of this post shall be dubbed 'the lazy one') and Liz joined us, as did the matriarch of the family, my Gran. Ben was there too with his good boyfriend hat on, getting up early to go to the race start with me and hanging around until we finished. Very nice of him to persevere without company for the two or so hours that I was off running. Everyone else did arrive at the stadium to cheer us on but bad phone signal meant that poor Ben was stranded without company. He found other distractions though.

Reading Half Marathon Mar 2014

Now that's a good breakfast!

Reading Half Marathon Mar 2014

Sad for me, everyone missed me as I ended the race in the stadium, but never mind, I'm just telling myself I must've been a blur as I used up all my remaining energy to sprint to the finish line.

Reading Half Marathon Mar 2014

That was not my time.


This was my time - well, the race recorded me at 2.05.58. So close enough. My Uncle smashed it in 1.32.28 and, I'm told, danced his way into the stadium, and my Aunt wasn't far behind us with 2.18.02, a little spy on marathon-photos tells me she waved to the adoring crowd that was my family cheering her on. Are we a good little family? I think so. After eventually managing to find each other (damn phone signal!) and posing for a fair few photographs...

Reading Half Marathon Mar 2014
Reading Half Marathon Mar 2014
Reading Half Marathon Mar 2014
Reading Half Marathon Mar 2014

...we joined the queue for the shuttle bus back to town. Now, this is where I can actually give some advice for anyone else participating in this event in the future. If you can, get yourself a car space. The queue for the bus was epic. I think we queued for longer than my Uncle ran! And it was cold, and drizzly and some of us weren't wearing many layers and starting to feel muscles stiffen!

Reading Half Marathon Mar 2014
Reading Half Marathon Mar 2014

I ended up in Ben's scarf and hat, my Auntie Kay's gloves and my Uncle Jame's jumper! Once we eventually got on a bus some of us ran back to the hotel for a shower and then out again to celebrate with the best Chinese food in Reading! Of which there are no pictures because I was exhausted, starving and too busy chatting away to the family I don't see as often as I'd like to. It was an amazing day preceded by an amazing weekend which I will come back to soon.

2 comments:

  1. Auwww I love that all your family turned out and I think your time is ace!
    Plus the size of that goodie bag...ahhhhh all.that.swag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The free t shirt was my favourite thing in there, no good for working out but good bed-wear!

    ReplyDelete