Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Producers

I guess I started my 'acting career' in Brownies when I was cast as the 'spoilt little princess' in the production of 'The Spoilt Little Princess'. Such was my first encounter with type-casting. Then nothing until University where I fully threw myself into chorus parts in Jesus Christ Superstar (Leper Number 1, I'll have you know) and choreography for Fame. Progress Theatre in Reading after Uni gave me some random bit-part characters to play (a police officer and an elevator user, don't ask)...but a move to Ealing and a love of musical theatre brought me to Gloc.

Producers Rehearsal Feb 2015
Producers Rehearsals 2015
Rehearsal April 2-15
Rehearsal April 2-15

I was so excited to hear the spring musical would be The Producers. I've been a huge fan since the film of the musical came out and loved it on the West End. I went back and forth a lot about whether or not to audition for Ulla...the song is a bit of a challenge and I hadn't carried a principal role before, but, adopting a 'no harm in trying' attitude, I prepared for the auditions with a healthy amount of trepidation and no expectations. I won the part and settled into a state of anticipation and terror...a state I would become very familiar with over the next five months.

Rehearsals April 2015
Rehearsals April 2015
Rehearsals April 2015
Rehearsals April 2015
Rehearsals April 2015
Rehearsals April 2015

There is nothing quite like performing in a musical. The rehearsals started as a fun weekly meet up but quickly descended into three times a week culminating in a full-on week with theatre get-in, dress and tech rehearsals, followed by four nights of performances.

Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015

Relationships forged backstage and in dressing rooms are difficult to break and I already miss everyone.

Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015

It's always a bit difficult to dole out thanks...always worried that you'll miss someone or that you won't be able to convey just how much it meant to you in words, but here we go anyway: thanks to Sian for directing and being just an incredible inspiration to all of us, Lynsey for directing and being a very good friend to me throughout, Harry for being Harry and such a privilege to share the stage with (not to discount everyone else who was obviously brilliant, I just had most of my stage time with Harry and a lot of support from him behind the scenes), Martin who always gave me hope I might nail my song, all the girls in the dressing room for their support, hugs and occasional admonishment (well deserved), all the guys for keeping spirits up and providing plenty of laughs and all the behind the scenes people who do so much more than we are even aware of and can only imagine...

Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015

Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015
Rehearsals The Producers May 2015

Aw guys, there are no words to describe what this experience has meant to me, especially this last week. I feel so lucky to have been involved in this show in the way that I was allowed to and I love you all so much for making it what it was. I am both devastated that it's over but so incredibly thankful that it happened.

I guess that's a wrap.

Rehearsals The Producers May 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment