Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Proposal Story of May 24th

It's funny that the most special moment between yourself and your boyfriend/girlfriend somehow becomes public property. May 24th is the day that Ben asked me to marry him. Even typing that (and even being nearly three weeks since this date) it feels so strange to see the word 'marry', it feels weird when people refer to him as my fiance and anyone who uses the phrase 'future Mrs Rooke' will cause me to emit a small squeal which is only, you know, 30% terrified. Anyway, when people find out you're engaged, one of the first questions is usually 'so how did he propose'? So here's the public details...

Tylney Hall May 2015

Welcome to Tylney Hall. An absolutely fantastic hotel. Ben took me here on the pretence that I needed a proper rest after the musical, which to be fair I did. Those rehearsals and show nights are hard going towards the end and the post-show blues are a killer, but I digress. We arrived at Tylney Hall around lunchtime and took a walk around the gorgeous gardens.

Tylney Hall May 2015

Tylney Hall May 2015

Tylney Hall May 2015

Tylney Hall May 2015

We lucked out with the weather and wondered for about an hour or so before we decided to have lunch outside and watch people play crochet (it's a rather posh hotel).

Tylney Hall May 2015

It was pretty relaxing. The next few parts there are no pictures for. We checked into our room and headed out to the pool for a swim, enjoyed our spa treatments and had another swim followed by a sauna before going back to our room to chill out and get ready for dinner.

Dinner was spectacular. Tylney Hall has an incredible dining room and, being such a nice place, there was a gentleman entirely dedicated to pouring our wine, which we splurged a little on and got a nice bottle of Californian red (besides French I am a big fan of Californian red wine, I wholeheartedly recommend). We had three courses...and I'm going to recap every bite because they were entirely delicious and, well, I just want to remember every detail since I obviously didn't bring my camera to the most romantic dinner of my life.

Starters I had the pork pate and Ben had mango and chicken salad with cashews. Both were delicious, but we agreed Ben won that course. Mains, I had more pork, which is kind of silly since I had pork for dessert but, hey, it's what I wanted, and Ben had roast chicken. For dessert, we both opted for an apple crumble cheesecake. Which Ben only managed a few bites of and I, being smart enough to pace myself for, devoured.

This meal was enjoyed with a grand piano playing nearby, both "Can you hear the love tonight" and "Just the way you are" were played and very much enjoyed, creating the perfect ambiance for our incredible evening. After dinner we went back to our room because Ben had a present for me.

Tylney Hall May 2015

BOOM! Monopoly! Not just any monopoly though...

Tylney Hall May 2015

MY MONOPOLY! These little pictures were on every property, and I picked up the best community chest ever...

Tylney Hall May 2015

And there we have it. Our proposal story. Some of the details will remain private of course, but here is the public story.

I will say that it is true that even if you're suspect that a proposal is heading your way (I mean, it was just the most incredible day/night that I started thinking if this wasn't where this day was going he's missed a trick), nothing prepares you to see the person you want to spend the rest of your life with get down on one knee and asks you to be with him for ever.

And a brief moment to say I cannot wait to marry Ben. I completely consider myself the luckiest girl in the world. Even though 80% of the time he's a pain in the arse. 

1 comment:

  1. Eeee I love a good proposal story and this ones pretty damn good! Congratulations both of you xxx

    ReplyDelete